Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Vintage and Handmade Fair

Well the big day has come and gone, that date we have had marked on our calendars since last May is now over,  and what a day it was!!!  Mum and I travelled up to Bristol the night before and stayed in a hotel, Sue came up too so it was a jolly girlie evening!  My 4.30am start for Ilminster the week before made me realise that I just can't do a ridiculously early start, a fair and then a long drive home all in one day.  By lunch time my brain has turned to mush, I can no longer add up and cannot remember my name, so starting off from a mere 19 miles away was wonderful.

Before going to bed  however, I switched on the tv only to catch the weather report  and hear the severe weather warning for the next day.  They said it was going to be at it's worse between the hours of 6am to 9am with 75 miles per hour winds, trees down and floods but should be over by 3pm.  So I went to sleep, or rather didn't sleep, with that worry on my mind!  Well the weather could not have been more different, it was sunny, dry and clear on our journey to the Town Hall and unloading was not the traumatic experience I had envisioned.

So, we unpacked and quickly set up ready for the shoppers to arrive at 10am, and they were prompt with queues around the building!  The fair was just wonderful, loads of beautiful stalls, really talented women showing  craftmanship at it's best, with the very best of vintage goodies to compliment them.  It was so lovely to meet many bloggers, who I have communicated with for years, but have never met in person. One of these was Claire, who designed my logo and whose work I adore.  I would have loved to have spent more time with her. 

I did not take many pictures sadly, it was such a busy day that after I took a few photos of my own stall, just before the customers were let in, and then of the crowds coming through the door, I did not get an opportunity to take any more.  There are wonderful photos on HenHouse's blog as well as Sal's and no doubt there will be many more as people get home and find time to upload their photos.


 
 
 
 


The photos do not do it justice though, the lighting in the hall was not great, but what you also can't get from the photos is the buzz, the atmosphere, the excitement and friendliness of the whole event. It has to be experienced.

I heard so many women talk of being overexcited and I could understand. When I first got in and saw all the lovely things being put out on stalls I was practically hyperventilating!!!

I bought a few lovely bits but, alas, cannot share them with you as my recipients are blog readers and I would not want to give the game away!  Let's just say there were a few bits from Hen, made with my own fabrics I hasten to add, some lovelies from Jayne, Michele and Niki, fabrics from LucyLizzie and Sue (as always) and some little goodies from Daniella and Claire and a furry something from Nicky (I tried not to look!).  I didn't get to look round all the stalls as I kept having to go back to my stall which was a shame.

If you didn't get to come this time, make a date in your diaries for May 1st and come, you will not be disappointed! Pin It

23 comments:

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hello Donna

Yesterday was fantastic! Miss P and I had a such a great time and ended up staying there most of the day!
Please with my fabrics!
Take care
Isabelle x

Pomona said...

It was great to meet you yesterday, Donna - and I'm very pleased with my fabric. If hadn't been under armed guard by the Head Chef I would have been a little less restrained in my purchasing!

Your stall looked absolutely lovely, and I really enjoyed the Fair - it was well worth the long journey!

Pomona x

heidi said...

Hi Donna,
Thanks for popping into my blog,please come again!!
It was great to meet you at the fair yesterday,we had a fab day,met some lovely people & made some scrummy purchases which will be on my blog!
Pomona i didnt know you were going to be there,what a shame it would have been great to meet you!! xx

Sal said...

Hi Donna!
Wasn't it a fab day?!
Glad you enjoyed it...hope your mum did too.

I have just spent the afternoon making 6 cushion covers, from the fabric which I bought from you just before the Fair. The kitchen looks wonderful!

Have fun !
Sal ;-)

Grumpy Old Woman said...

Hi Sweetie

Yes, I agree with all of your blog entry.
There was a wonderful, warm but buzzy atmosphere - many people said they were so excited they couldn't focus properly!
The stalls were outstanding in their diversity and quality - I could have spent a fortune there if I had only had one.
I met lots of your lovely people. What fun we all had....

Roll on the next one!

xxxx
~{:O})=

Grumpy Old Woman (NOT Grumpy Old Cow! hahahaha!)

Pipany said...

Oh so wish I could have made it there. Maybe next year. Glad you had a good time Donna x

LissyLou said...

i can't wait for the may one!!

Country Cottage Chic said...

It was such a great atmosphere wasn't it? Can't wait for the next one.....

Jayne

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Finally we got to meet Donna... though strangely I felt as though we already had. Your stall was a delight and as you say.. so hard to focus on all the finery there.
SO pleased you were part of this fair and look forward to welcoming you and your charming mother, to the next.
Michele x

Mumxie said...

I was put off by the weather, so I didn't go. We had the gales plus thunder and lightning here. It sounds wonderful. Driving up the night before was a brill idea. It looks like I missed a lovely day.

A Bun Can Dance said...

Dear Donna
Wasn't it wonderful? Such an amazing treat to have all those lovely people and goodies in one place!
I'm so happy to have finally met you and really enjoyed chatting with you. You are so lovely and friendly! I'm delighted with my fabrics and can't wait to play with them. I most definitely want to come to your next open house to explore even more of your fabrics!
Hoping that you now have your feet up resting after all that busy-ness.
Happy days to you
Denise x

Lark said...

It looks amazing Donna! With a bit of luck I may be in the UK next May !!

Allison x

hens teeth said...

Hello donna
It was such a treat to meet you. It was a perfect day in every way. x

Redwoodhouse said...

Hi Donna,
I am so pleased with fabrics I bought from your stand at the fair, I think it was your mum that served me, you were a very busy bee so I didn't stop to say hello.
My friend bought a quilt which she is delighted with even though it is for HER DOG can you believe.

So pleased you had a good day...
Jan

Trixie@ the vintage bothy said...

Hi Donna, I didn't get to meet you, but your stand looked wonderful. The painted crates were a brill idea, a new twist, I am sure that everyone will follow the trend. I have an old 30's wardrobe that I have had converted into shelves for fairs and rather than F&B white/pastel Ithink I may go for a zingy colour! Tracey

Joshy and belle said...

oh i really want to come to the next one! fliss xx

Hen said...

Hello temptress!
Here I am, feeling shattered today but playing with my fabulous fabrics from you and itching to make something but just what? - it has to be vereeeey special for that green/white/rosebud fabric, you know the one! So glad you were at the Fair and I was able to shop with you again, I do need my vintage fabric fix! Hope you are enjoying your purchases...
Hen xxx

Katie said...

Hello! It was really lovely to see (and your mum ) on Saturday. What a fabulous day it was! Katie x

Katie said...

Me again...forgot to say, I've just finished my blog post about the Fair, including a piccie of my favourite fabric supplier! Katie x

MelMel said...

oohhh all looks lovely fun Donna...I love the table cloth with your name on...inspired...very pretty..the boxes.crates look fab!xx

Alex said...

Ooh, it looks so inviting! But what a shame the carpet clashed with all your lovely textiles... Burgundy and gold - never a good look.

claire Maraldo said...

Ooo Donna,

I was so pleased to meet you at last!!!!

you did not disappoint.

StilL feeling rude that I called you mum grumpy old cow not grumpy old woman. :-O

however, she is totally charming!!! Obviously runs in the family.

Glad you had a good day. i LOVED it and can't wait until the next one.

Claire x

Calico Kate said...

Oh it looks sooo good. I would have spent much time squeaking with excitement. Now where is my diary, really is worth a trip to England to come along. It'll take me what 8?10?12? hours drive???
Hmm perhaps I will have to continue to live vicariously though your blog!
CK~